Archive for the ‘Textures’ Category

Autumn Leaf

Saturday, October 25th, 2014

yellow_leaf

Another week of moving with little time for photography.  I did pause for a few minutes to photograph this beautiful leaf.  I like the color of the moss it was sitting on but the detail was just too distracting so I ended up adding a texture to soften the background.  I think I could have spent more time on it but the boxes are calling to be unpacked.

Day 76 – Maple Leaf

Friday, September 12th, 2014

Maple_Watercolor

I really liked the shape and colors of this leaf but it was laying on an asphalt walkway so I didn’t much like the background.  I started by adding a texture, which helped, but it still wasn’t really integrated.  So I thought I would try it in Topaz Simplify.  This was the result using a watercolor preset.

Day 19 – Pears

Thursday, July 17th, 2014

Pears

One of the principle crops in my home area is pears.  I was out driving through the orchards near where my new house is going up yesterday and grabbed a couple of shots of pears growing on the trees.  Then I got creative this morning and added a texture from one of the French Kiss collections.  I still wasn’t happy with the colors so I took it into Topaz restyle for some further transformation.  I can’t say I am really happy with it yet but I’ve already spent way too much time on this and in the end I think it is the shadows on the bottom pear that are bothering me the most and there is not much I can do about that.  One thing about a 100 days project is you can’t expect to hit it out of the ballpark every day.  But it does give me a chance to experiment with new techniques and that is a good thing.

Day 16 – Lavender in Chest

Monday, July 14th, 2014

Lavender_wchest

This weekend was lavender festival all over Oregon.  I took my Mom out to the Applegate Valley where we took in four lavender farms before we got too tired and hungry to continue.  This particular farm had an antique store as well so I managed to capture the best of both worlds.  The minute I saw the raw image I knew it cried out for texturing.  I started by cropping a little to focus on the trunk. I continued by using content aware fill  and clone stamping to eliminate some ugly table legs.  Then I added a smart sharpen and noise reduction filter in Photoshop.  I then took the lavender picture into Nik Color Efex Pro for a detail extractor, brilliance/warmth, and darken/lighten center treatment.  I then selected a texture and reduced it’s saturation some brought it into the lavender picture and resized to fit.  I then experimented with blending modes and opacity.  I masked out the texture over the lavender and chest lid.  I can see now I should have gone a little further with masking on the chest wall but it was going so dark I didn’t like it.  I finished by adding a warming filter which helped to tie everything together.  I’ll give myself a B+ on this one due to the glitch on the masking.  But hey, I’m still new at this texturing stuff.

Day 8 – Calibrachoa

Sunday, July 6th, 2014

Calibrachoa

I thought these flowers would lend themselves well with a little texturing and I like the effect.  I added three different textures from French Kiss with Gaussian blur added on the colorful ones to create the background using various blending modes.  The more textured one I reduced the saturation and did about a 65% opacity blend. The lower right corner was kind of empty so a created a copy of the back ground layer and moved in into position then masked to where I wanted it.  So if the upper left and lower right flowers look exactly the same it is because they are. I often like the more natural backgrounds better on florals but for this one I think my creative efforts paid off.

Pi nk Rose

Saturday, June 7th, 2014

Pink_rose

Amidst the chaos of moving I gave myself a morning off to visit the rose gardens this week.  Some of the roses were near peak, some past and some still waiting to bloom.  I found myself wishing I had gone the day after the generous rains we received a week or so ago.

This image was shot with my 100 mm macro lens with a closeup filter attached. It was processed using Nik Color efex pro.  I just used the minimum detail extractor and a darken lighten center filter.  Then I used a texture to tone down the background but masked out all of the rose.   I really like the almost 3D quality of this image.

Cocktails

Saturday, May 10th, 2014

Cocktails_Vivid

It was another windy week in Santa Fe and though I tried to photograph some flowers in my yard I didn’t start early enough so had only moderate success in avoiding movement.  In anticipation of a trip to Northern Arizona next week I started reviewing some pictures from a previous trip.  I had also just purchased some grunge textures from French Kiss Textures.  So when I saw this image of a grungy neon sign in Williams, AZ I thought why not try a little grunge on grunge.  First I applied a preset in Topaz detail to sharpen it up, then I added the Grit filter from the Glorious Grunge Collection.  Using a vivid light blending mode really made the colors pop…and maybe even brought in some new ones.  I’m hoping the sign is still there this time as I would like to reshoot it giving myself a little more space to add a nice grungy border!